US Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth on Monday rejected comments made by Senator Mark Kelly regarding what Kelly described as a “shocking” reduction in American missile stockpiles during the recent conflict with Iran.
Senator Kelly had previously warned that declining reserves of Tomahawk cruise missiles and Patriot air defense systems could weaken US deterrence capabilities, particularly in relation to China.
Responding on the social media platform X, Hegseth accused Kelly of “babbling on television about a classified Pentagon report.”
The defense secretary also said the Pentagon’s legal adviser would review whether the senator had “violated his oath.”
Kelly made his remarks after receiving a classified Pentagon briefing on the impact of the Iran war on US weapons inventories.
He said he was “truly shocked” by the extent of the ammunition and missile consumption during the conflict.
According to Kelly, stockpiles of Tomahawk missiles, ATACMS systems, SM-3 interceptors, THAAD defenses, and Patriot missiles had been significantly depleted—especially defensive interceptor missiles used to protect US bases and forces.
The senator warned that rebuilding these stockpiles could take years and might affect America’s military readiness in the event of a future confrontation with China.
The public disagreement between senior political and defense figures highlights growing debate inside Washington over the strategic costs of the recent war with Iran.
Military analysts say the depletion of advanced missile systems—particularly long-range strike weapons and air defense interceptors—could increase pressure on the US defense industry to accelerate weapons production.
The dispute also reflects broader concerns about whether the United States can sustain prolonged or simultaneous military crises in multiple regions while maintaining its global deterrence posture.



















